Saturday, December 13, 2008

Chocolate-filled oat crunch


Right now I am almost a prisoner in my own home as it has been raining non-stop since I woke at 7am. I braved the weather to do my weekly shop (wish I had gone yesterday) and got completely drenched; even our doggie Yoshi has only gone out once to pee, he's slept the entire day to conserve his energy and wait out the rain. A lot of errands have been sidelined (like laundry, our laundry is only accessible by going outside) and a trip to the movies to see Twilight, but one positive has been that I have had time to check out some more food blogs.

As you can see, my food blog list has grown exponentially, I will probably whittle it down once I know which blogs aren't updated regularly, as I like blogs that post at least a few recipes each month.

180g butter
120g demerara sugar
90gm golden syrup
150g plain flour
1tsp bicarb soda
60gm dessicated coconut
60gm rolled oats
150g milk chocolate

Preheat oven to 160C. Using an electric mixer, cream butte, sugar and golden syrup until fluffy, then add flour, bicarb soda, coconut and rolled oats, and beat on slow until just combined.
Spoon teaspoonfuls of mixture onto baking paper lined trays. Bake for 15mins or until golden then cool on racks.
Melt chocolate in heat proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Cool to thick consistency, then spread over the base of half the biscuit and sandwich with remaining biscuits. Makes 18.
ease: 5/5.
prep time: 10mins - 5mins of this was scooping them out to place on trays.
cooking time: 40mins to make three batches - around 12mins per batch.
total: 5omins to make 20 cookies.

taste: 3.5/5. Everyone else really liked them though but I found them a little oily and sharply sweet, had to drink some water after eating one. Make sure you use 1tsp measures as I made mine a little bigger and they really expanded in the oven.

would I make it again: No. Although everyone else enjoyed them I didn't like them enough to make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment