Sunday, December 21, 2008

Perfect mac-n-cheese


I thought when I had found Neil Perry's recipe for Macaroni and Cheese that I would never have to look for another recipe again. Unfortunately, my partner did not share my enthusiasm for the dish and since then the hunt has resumed for a recipe that we both like.


I like my macaroni and cheese to be unctuous and cheesy. Ryan doesn't want his to taste like any cheese except tasty. When I found this recipe I had a feeling I'd found the one. Whilst it has Gruyere (yum!) and blue cheese the majority of the cheesiness comes from tasty. It doesn't have breadcrumbs (something he doesn't like) so I thought I'd try once again and see how it goes.

ease: 4.5/5. You make the sauce separately.
prep time:
12mins to make sauce and cook pasta.
cooking time:
25mins in the oven.
total:
37mins.

taste: 4/5. I found this to be creamy, cheesy and spicy (the chilli powder does have a kick so don't go overboard). I had to sprinkle some parsley over mine as I felt it needed something to break up the heaviness. Ryan like it - but as I used penne he didn't feel it was Mac-N-Cheese and so he can't decide if it is the one until I cook it with macaroni pasta. To be honest I am not sure why the recipe calls for penne, and I'm surprised I didn't realise and substitute with the macaroni.

would I make it again:
Yes - with macaroni next time.

recipe:
http://cookingquest.wordpress.com/2008/11/13/perfect-mac-n-cheese/

No comments:

Post a Comment