Sunday, January 18, 2009

Blueberry, nectarine & peach crisp


It's amazing how large the bounty of gifted fruits are in Summer - this is the only season where I am bombarded with plastic bags filled with picked plums, apricots, nectarines and peaches from family members. I'm not sure why they chose me as the one in need of all the fruit but somehow it all comes my way.

With the hot weather the fruits began to quickly languish in their fruit bowl, I managed to rescue some from an early fate by placing them in the fridge, but only a few spots were available. The rest I would have to quickly make into summer sweets before they expired.

The sugar plums were salvaged first. Today I wanted to save the 2 peaches and sadly withered 3 nectarines. After searching on Tastespotting, Foodgawker, Taste & Gourmet Traveler I found a recipe for a crisp (not too similar to my sugarplum crumble) that seemed suitable as I also happened to have some frozen blueberries hiding in my freezer. Tomorrow, it's the apricot's turn.

ease: 5/5. prep time: 17mins - I tore apart the nectarines and peaches as I didn't want to use their skins and my knives are on the dull side.
cooking time: 35mins.
total: 52mins.

taste: 5/5. I love this much more than the sugar plum crumble! Absolutely delicious! Next time I would use just peaches and blueberries as the nectarines were a bit tart. I modified the recipe as follows: I used 1 cup of frozen blueberries, 2 peaches and 3 nectarines; I used two tbs of cornflour. I would add a little more blueberries next time as I wanted more. The pecans were really lovely in the topping, it was still crumbly but nice - might up the spices next time also.

would I make it again: Yes.

recipe: http://half-bakedbaker.blogspot.com/2008/06/blueberry-nectarine-crisp-and-award.html

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your blog today and saw that you had made the crisp recipe from my blog. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! Your blog is beautiful! I'll be back often:)

    ReplyDelete