Friday, January 23, 2009

Eggnog truffles



"Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse."

Christmas is long past, and amongst all of the hustle and bustle of wrapping gifts and seeing family I completely forgot to make these truffles. Normally I would have relegated them to this year's Christmas folder, but I just couldn't bring myself to wait another 12 months to taste them. So here they are, a very belated Christmas gift from me to you (and apologies to my family members who missed out and tasting these little ivory beauties last Christmas).

I am not sure how I thought I'd make successful chocolate truffles when the house temperature was 27C - the filling melted as soon as it was out of the freezer, I've never seen anything like it. The white chocolate just slid right off the filling and pooled around it. Only the truffle I did first survived, so I apologise for the lack of truffles in this post.


ease: 4.5/5. These have a lot of chilling time so it takes a while before they are ready.
prep time: 25mins to make chocolate batches and assemble truffles
cooking time: 3hours & 2omins of chilling time
total: 3hours & 45mins.

taste: 2.5/5. Despite doubling the nutmeg and the brandy, these tasted only of sugary white chocolate. I couldn't eat more than one. Such a shame seeing as though they got rave reviews from so many people.

would I make it again: No. Maybe they would have tasted better had they not melted all over the place, but I just found them too sweet for me.

recipe: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2053/eggnog+truffles

No comments:

Post a Comment