Monday, January 5, 2009

Eggplant & tomato parmigiana


Apart from the odd piece of fish now and then I don't eat any other type of meat. It started around 9 years of age, I was never much of a meat eater (much to the chagrin of the Greek side of my family, who still to this day try to get me to eat some lamb or chicken). I watched an animal documentary one day and after that I decided I wasn't going to eat meat anymore. I don't miss it and I have only been anaemic twice (I used to have a very bad diet filled only with sugar and processed food, hardly ate 1 piece of fruit or any vegetables).


My partner on the other hand is an avid meat eater, he comes from a culture of hunting and has himself hunted rabbit etc. As he cannot cook, I do cook lamb, pork, chicken, beef and fish for him (I told him that I will never cook rabbit or anything else and if he wants to eat them he can eat at his Mum's).

I have started to incorporate more vegetarian dishes, I am not trying to convert him (even though it would make my life a lot easier) but I would like it if he cut down the number of meat dishes he eats a week. After going without meat for 2 days, his meal of lamb yesterday did not sit well and he said it made him feel depressed. To my astonishment he expressed a desire to 'trial' being a vegetarian for a week. So I thought I'd make a few vegetarian meals this week and see if he feels satisfied, if he does we'll try for a whole meat-less week.

ease: 4.5/5.
prep time: 6mins to slice and grill eggplant.
cooking time: 40mins.
total: 46mins.

taste: 3.5/5. I didn't mind it although it is quite heavy and rich. Ryan loved it and thought it tasted like it had 'meat' in it. Even my brother who hates eggplant ate every bit of it. I halved the recipe but added more cheese (as usual).

would I make it again: Yes.

recipe: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1479/eggplant+and+tomato+parmigiana

No comments:

Post a Comment