Saturday, February 7, 2009

Caramelised pineapple with coconut pain perdu


I was the epitome of Speedy Gonzalez today. The flaming sun and scorching winds forced me to hurry through my morning chores or they would spoil my meats and sour my milk. I wanted to run a few other errands but I couldn't face going outside after I had put all of my groceries away.

To say that Melbournians are looking forward to tomorrow's forecast of a rainy 23C is the understatement of the century. Our beautiful sun burnt country really needs to have a drink and slap on some aloe vera; time to be more Dita von Teese and less Donatella Versace.


Don't ask me why, but I am holding a BBQ so that my family members can see our new place. I also told them to not bring anything, not even a drink. Which leaves me havng to make enough savoury and sweet feasts for 25 people. As I will be cooking all of tonight and most of tomorrow morning I didn't want to make too much for lunch. I picked up some brioche at Leo's and dredged this recipe from the forgotten folders.

ease: 4/5. Decent amount of washing up.
prep time: 5mins to slice and prep everything.
cooking time: 15mins - 5 for the pan fried bread and then 10mins whilst it's in the oven and the pineapple and caramel are frying away.
total: 20mins.

taste: 3/5. I was sorely disappointed with the lack of coconut flavour coming through. This is all about tangy pineapple and buttery brioche, with the odd pistachio managing to squeeze in every now and then. My caramel didn't caramelise so I ended up with a sugar syrup, and my pineapple didn't caramelise much either - I think I skimped too much on the sugar (tried to cut it back as it seemed a bit much for a breakfast meal).

would I make it again: No.

recipe: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9341/caramelised+pineapple+with+coconut+pain+perdu

No comments:

Post a Comment