Thursday, February 19, 2009

Figs, prosciutto, buffalo mozzarella and vino cotto


Figs are fickle things.

I often hear people complaining about the cost of figs despite it being fig season. The reason for their expense is due to their fragility. It is hard to transport figs without them bursting or bruising. Most often if I do find them being sold they are almost always a little mushy and soft - although the green figs do seem to travel better.

My grandmother used to have a fig tree so I grew up on honeyed figs. As my lemon tree is plagued with gall wasp I am deeply considering replacing it with a fig tree...we'll see.

Whenever I do find some figs that have survived their ferry over to the suburbs I buy them up and decide what to do with them later. Tonight I made a Parmesan risotto (a go-to recipe) and thought a fig salad might compliment the cheesy main well.


ease: 5/5.
prep time: 8mins.
cooking time: 1min to mix and drizzle dressing.
total: 9mins.

taste: 2/5. For some reason this didn't taste that nice or go well with the risotto. I used mixed leaf salad which may have been to leafy to work. The figs didn't impart much flavour and the buffalo mozzarella was very watery. I could not find fig vin cotto on short notice so I used grape vin cotto.

would I make it again: No.

recipe: http://www.cuisine.com.au/recipe/figs_prosciutto_buffalo_mozzarella_and_vino_cotto

1 comment:

  1. if you make this for me, i will bring you a massive basket of the best figs from my dads trees

    ReplyDelete