Thursday, March 26, 2009

Baked mozarella tomatoes


Mozzarella, mozzarella.
Parmigiano, parmigiano.
Mozzarella, mozzarella.
I love my stringy mozzarella.

I love cheese; the gooey, melted, saltiness of it makes almost anything taste better. My favourite sandwich is a simple grilled cheese sandwich with lots of butter and cheese. Absolute oily, heart clogging bliss.

When I was shorter than the dinner table, and didn't like anything that started with vegetable, my clever mother would whip up a cheesy sauce and drown them in it. And hey presto, the veggies got eaten (well not the broccoli stems, I'd lick them clean and then hide them in my mashed potato). Well it seems my husband hasn't completely grown out of this phase (including the burying of veggies in mash), and after discovering a cheesy solution to his aversion of broccoli, I thought I'd apply it to all veggies.


Cherry tomatoes he loves, as I do, to eat raw with a splash of olive oil, salt and pepper. Yum and super healthy. But for dinner I didn't want them to be cold next to the hot chicken (his teeth are sensitive from the fillings) so I thought hot and cheesy was the way to go.

ease: 5/5.
prep time:
3mins.
cooking time: 5mins.
total: 8mins.

taste: 4/5. I used 13 cherry tomatoes and 250g mozarella. Definitely put more mozarella on the top than the bottom as by the time the top layer has dissolved to nothing the bottom layer still hasn't melted. I would chuck even more cherry tomatoes in next time as well as the cheese needs the tartness or it becomes to much. Maybe a sprinkling of dried basil would also compliment this well. Don't add any salt, it's already perfectly salty as is.

would I make it again: Yes - super quick side dish - served this with a grilled lemon myrtle rubbed chicken breast.

recipe: http://www.lifesambrosia.com/2009/03/baked-mozzarella-recipe.html

3 comments:

  1. A delicious way of preparing tomatoes! Really scrumptious looking!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum, this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you had success with this dish and your pictures are beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete