Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cardamom-spiced cake


'Simply intoxicating' is how I would describe the scent that envelopes your nostrils upon opening a jar filled with cardamom pods.

I could happily open and sniff every hour, but I don't think that would help to keep them fresh. Cardamom is my 3rd favourite spice (for those of you who missed out on my top three it's 1.Cinnamon, 2. Nutmeg and 3. Cardamom).

I bookmarked this recipe as soon as I saw the title, however I only noticed today as I was baking that cinnamon is actually the main spice in this cake, and furthermore, the recipe is based on an Armenian Nutmeg cake, so I am not sure how cardamom claimed the name, but I'm sure that with all of my favourite spices, plus a little clove which I also love, this cake will be 'simply delicious'.


ease: 5/5.
prep time:
10mins. I did not process anything, I just mixed the dry ingredients and added the wet (I melted the butter also).
cooking time: 45mins.
total: 55mins.

taste: 4/5. I baked this for 45mins and it was partially burnt. As I overcooked the cake it had a slightly crunchy top and base but I didn't mind. I used a lamington pan but I think I will use a brownie pan next time so it rises a little more. The cake smelled divine as it was cooking and was beautifully spiced and perfect with a cup of tea. It's not a blow your socks off cake, but it's one you get seconds and even thirds of, which we all did. I used 1/2cup of slivered almonds which I think melded better with the cake.

would I make it again: Yes - super easy with the preparation I used and a tasty afternoon snack.

recipe: http://passionateaboutbaking.blogspot.com/2009/02/spicing-up-life-with-cardamom-cakea.html

3 comments:

  1. A deliciously spicy and moist cake! Fabulous!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. love cardamon, it's one of my favourite spices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cardamom is my new obsession! I'm saving this recipe!

    ReplyDelete