Saturday, May 16, 2009

Date pancakes with caramel sauce


My brother was quite the prankster and tormentor during our youth, despite his younger status. One such prank he used to pull involved dates and their resemblance in both colour and size to the incredibly disgusting, and frightening Cockroach.

As you can imagine I was deathly afraid of cockroaches, and upon hearing my brother yell out 'Cockroach!' and subsequently having a small brown object thrown onto my lap, a tirade of squealing and screaming would ensue as I ran through the house furiously smacking my clothing like a woman possessed.

Perhaps it was this, or their unusual texture, that deterred me from eating them. Despite my love of the great dessert, Sticky date pudding, I still do not eat singular dates. The hard, wax like skin which gives way to a sticky, saccharine interior does not appeal to me. Chopped up and thrown into a dense and gloriously sticky pudding, smothered in a viscous velvety caramel sauce and I'm wolfing it down in 3 seconds flat - go figure.


ease: 5/5.
prep time:
15mins.
cooking time: 8mins for 8 pancakes.
total: 23mins.

taste: 3.5/5. My goodness, what a sugar overload despite not using a large amount of sugar. The pancakes themselves are barely sweet, more spicy, with a hint of date (definitely increase the amount).

The caramel carries all of the sweetness of this dish. My caramel had been sitting out a while and became quite gluggy, almost powdery so I'm not sure what it would have been like straight off the heat. The pancakes are definitely reminiscent of sticky date pudding - not as sweet or date-y though.

would I make it again: No - nice but would rather the pudding.

recipe: Date Pancakes with Caramel Sauce

5 comments:

  1. OMG, drool drool! These pancakes look mighty scrumptious!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good! I would not have thought to top them with caramel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your photos are so good!
    I should hire you full time to cook for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yum, they look delicious, too bad the caramel turned out a bit disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some dates I need to use, and I think I just found the perfect inspiration. I think I might add some ricotta and blue cheese to the pancake mix. Make them a sort of sweet and savory treat.
    Thanks for the great idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete