Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Gratineed chicken in cream sauce


As you may have noticed, the amount of savoury dishes on my blog seems to have waned.

Winter sunsets are dreadfully early, and by 5pm you are closing your blinds and switching on artificial lights. As you can imagine, this makes for horrible photos, especially sans flash. However, I thought that if a dish rated a 4 or higher should be posted so that others can make and enjoy it too. I love finding savoury dishes on other blogs as I do have to make dinner each night and let's face it, whilst I love pancakes, I couldn't possibly eat them for tea each night..well, hubby couldn't.

ease: 5/5.
prep time:
10mins.
cooking time: 30mins.
total: 40mins.

taste: 4/5. This was unctuous, creamy and cheesy. Make sure you use a cheese you like as it is the strongest flavour - I used a Comte Gruyere (non-aged). As I left some of the herbs in there were pockets of flavour - the carrots became a little sweet and the chicken was very tender. Everything went together beautifully. I am greedy when it comes to sauces and I love to have lots to spare. So as usual I halved the vegetables and chicken but kept everything else the same. I made the following modifications:
  • I kept the herbs in and just removed the leaves and twigs later
  • I omitted the peas (hubby hates them)
  • I used around 6 french shallots instead of the frozen onions
  • I didn't bother peeling the potatoes
would I make it again: Yes.

recipe: Gratineed chicken in cream sauce (Poulet a la Fermiere)

3 comments:

  1. That dish looks soooooo good! Yummy!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo looks pretty good for a night time shot!

    The dish looks so deliciously saucy and how cute are those little potatoes?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum, this look delicious! I, like you, am getting a little carried away with the sweet side of the culinary menu. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels bad about it!

    Although pancakes for dinner every night sounds like a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete