Friday, March 12, 2010

Fennel, onion & goat's cheese tarts

This week has been quite the Twilight episode.

If you live in Australia, you no doubt heard about Melbourne's exciting encounter with a super cell storm - I, like almost all Melbournians, have never seen anything quite like it. I was fortunate enough to get home a mere five minutes before the skies turned a midnight black and everything became silent - and not that 'all is calm, all is right' silent, that eerie 'something terrible is a-comin' silent. It wasn't long before a strange helicopter whirring sound enveloped everything and then BAM. A huge ball of ice hits the kitchen window. BAM. Another smashes into the roof. BAM. BAM. BAM. BAM. BAM. You get the picture. Most of the hail was passion-fruit-sized and it's destructive fury was indescribable.

The entire CBD was in knee deep water and snow, every street closed down, every tunnel and most highways. Large building roofs collapsed, shopping centres flooded and it even began to rain inside cinemas. It took over 10 hours before people could drive home, if their cars hadn't washed away or been punch-holed that is. Truly freaky stuff.

Well that was on Saturday, and it's now blue skies and sunshine all the way. You gotta give Melbourne Weather a hand, he keeps it fresh.

ease: 5/5.
prep time: 1 hour (includes chilling time).
cooking time: 30mins.
total: 1hour & 30mins.

taste: 4/5. Crusterific!

Surprisingly, what I loved most about this dish, was it's perfect crust. I don't think I will use any other for savoury tarts from now on it was that great.

The filling is subtle, I was actually hoping for a stronger aniseed flavour from the fennel, but it strolled modestly with the onion and egg filling, all taking equal flavour portions. The goat's cheese should be mild, I went for a slightly more pungent one and it added too much bitterness to this delicate tart - something creamy and slightly salty would be perfect. Hubby loved this more than I did.

would I make it again: Yes.


recipe: Fennel, onion & goat's cheese tarts

11 comments:

  1. Err.. I thought it was summer there!!!! Hail and Snow?? That sounds like a movie trailer..wow!

    Btw what is weather like there? I am planning a visit in April and thought I should bring along cropped sleeves and shorts!! No?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Autumn so the weather is milder - each day is different here but most days in April are around 25C - but I would definitely bring a pair of jeans, a long sleeved top and a jacket for the cooler days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, can't wait to try this vegetarian tart. I love goat's cheese

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! Great for an elegant dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, this is scary. But the tart is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fantastic combo! Those tarts would disappear fast at my table...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow--i didn't hear anything about that weird weather pattern but it sounds completely eerie! hope the damage wasn't too significant!
    great tarts--the crust is always key for me, and this one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking my blog, your tart looks fabulous, beautiful photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking my blog, your tart looks fabulous, beautiful photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that video was incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh. Not being from Australia, I hadn't heard about this at all. Just watched the video and it all sounds/looks crazy! I'm so glad you weren't caught out. As for this tart, it looks scrumptious and I'm glad you found a new fav tart crust.

    ReplyDelete