Monday, July 26, 2010

Sweet potato, silverbeet & goat’s feta pies



It is a lovely 27C outside with a light breeze filled with ocean scents blowing in from the Mediterranean Sea through the streets of Marseille to the balcony where I sit, gazing at the marina and out towards the blue yonder.

We have eaten Bertillon ice cream beneath the Eiffel Tower, bought ripe peaches from Mister Collignon's fruit shop, lathered our brioche with lavender honey from Provence and danced in the Place de L'Horloge in Avignon to the haunting sounds of a pan flute during their Performing Arts Festival. And now, we rest our aching feet in Marseille before leaving for the Cote D'Azure tomorrow morning for sun, sand and self-indulgence.

Til my feet are back in Melbourne, here is a post to tide you over.

(Apologies for any spelling errors, my husband has no spell check on his computer and I must admit, I have let my spelling skills slacken with years of its use).
ease: 3.5/5.
prep time: 2hours (includes chilling - make filling whilst pastry chills).
cooking time: 25mins.
total: 2 hours & 25mins.

taste: 4/5 - delicious parcels of goodness.

I adored was enamoured with this pastry. It had the perfect texture for this pie and was an excellent base for the fillings. The tart itself was a mixture of sweet, salty, creamy, tangy and smooth - great balance of flavours. As usual I added more garlic and goat's cheese (I always use the same one - Meredith's Dairy goat's cheese in olive oil it also has pepper and thyme in it, if you 're from Australia I am sure you are familiar with it) - this cheese pleases all palates, thought it was worth a mention since I've used it for every goat's cheese dish on here, and as you know, the flavour and texture of a dish changes depending on which cheese you use, (and in case you were wondering, I am not affliated with any company, I buy every product on my own dime, or sometimes my husband's ;).

The only thing I would change would be to use less sweet potato as there was quite a lot and it skews it too far to the 'sweet side' for me.

would I make it again: Yes.


recipe: Sweet potato, silverbeet and goat’s feta pies

8 comments:

  1. A wonderful combination. Those pies must taste so good!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. no spell check?! the horror! :)
    i like a nice savory pie, and this is definitely nice. excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are way too good at making me drool on my laptop. Beautiful! Hope you're enjoying your French break, still ;)

    Jax x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sweet salty combos but also ride a fine line between the two. These look delicious and sounds like you're having a fab time in Paris XD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really an unusual pie with great flavors! I love the photo!

    (Isn't Bertillon ice cream the best?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to make a savoury pie for a while already. This picture reminds me more than ever that I have to get on it. Looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhhh....it sounds like your in heaven!

    That pie look very tasty and very healthy. would be great as a mid week meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your first paragraphy left me wishing for a plane ticket! So jealous - enjoy your holiday.
    The pie looks divine, I will give it a go!

    ReplyDelete